What teachers make


The was a gathering of fomer pupils and teachers recently. Guests were sitting around the tables discussing about life. Among so many excutives, one decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, “What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher ?” He reminded other guests about what they said about teachers. “Those who can teach. And those who cannot teach.”

To stress his point he said to another guest, “You are a teacher, Low. Be honest. What do you make ?” Low had a reputation for honesty and frankness and he replied, “You want to know what I make ?” “Well, I make kids work harder than they ever though they could. I make kids sit through the 40 minutes class when some of their parents cannot make them sit for even 5 minutes without and ipad, or a cellphone. I make kids wonder. I make questions for them. I make them to have the courage to apologize. I make them to take responsibility for their mistakes and actions. I teach them how to write and then make them write. I make them read, read and read. I make them shall all their work in mathematics, use their mental calculation rather than using the calculator. I make them learn many things they need to know in English Language while preserving their unique cultural identity. I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe. I make my students stand when they sing the national anthem. In summary, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they have, work hard and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.”

“When people judge me by what I make, with me knowing money is not everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant … and you want to know what I make ?” I make a difference.” What do you make Mr Executive ?”

Comments